Monday, June 29, 2015

 3:24 AM   Unknown   , , , , , ,    No comments

three weeks ago i had an academic conference in Nagasaki. only me and my professor went to this conference, I was kinda worried that it would get really awkward and cold situation with him but turned it was quite a fun trip. 

We met at the Itami airport, He told me that he met a sales person from Nikon, and that we don't have to go to the conference venue by bus. It was a hot and sunny day in Nagasaki when we arrived. The Nikon's sales took us to eat lunch with them in a hotel up on a mountain where you can see the city and ocean while enjoying your food. I chose to eat the local specialty ちゃんぽん (chanpon), well chanpon it's actually originated from china. after lunch they took us to our conference hotel. It's an old big hotel located up on the hill, I can say that I don't like the hotel, but the food is really good.

Saturday afternoon at 12.30 PM the gakkai ended, time to see the city. First place we visited was the peace park. It's a memorial park for the Atomic bomb victims




From the park we walked 5 minutes to see a red-bricked church, I forgot the name of the church, and from there we walked again to the atomic bomb epicenter.



After finished with the atomic bombs tour we took the city street car to the megane bridge. megane means glasses in japanese and this bridge does resembles a glasses (as seen in photo below). I was very lucky that when i visited this city they have the Ajisai festival, ajisai or hydrangea is one of my favourite plant. There were various kinds and colours of hydrangea put near the bridge, just beautiful.



From the megane bridge, i went back to the nagasaki station to check in then rest for a while, before i continue exploring the city. After 2 hours of sleep, LOL! i went out to the Glover garden, a Scotland garden, it is located on top of the hills, but before i went there, I passed a ferry terminal and there i could see a very big cruise ship parked there. This is the closest i've ever been to the giants of the sea, if I'm not mistaken the ship's name was "Royal Caribbean". 

Back to Glover garden, it was a 15 minutes walk from the ferry terminal to the glover garden. There is a lift from that will take you to the garden. Honestly i don't really fancy this garden, i mean this is basically a european style garden with european style house. Went to the top of the garden, there you get to see the city and the sea. Other than the view from the top, i don't find this garden really fascinating. It was a wasted of 600¥,LOL!!!



On the way down from the garden i passed another church, this one is more famous than the first one i  mentioned above. Maybe because this one is located near the Glover park, but I like this white church more than the red-brick church.







The next day i didn't have many times left, wanted to go to the kyujukyushima (99 islands) but i woke up late and the weather was not good either. So i just visited the atomic bomb museum.

I didn't take many photos at the museum. I might have different view about the museum than others. I come from the country where we gained our independence due to atomic bomb, I myself don't agree with the use of atomic bomb by the US. There were this issue that bothers me,  that the japanese students/children aren't thought about the bad and wrong things their predecessor did during wars. All they were taught are that Japan saved the SE asian from the Europe occupation. When I visited the museum, I realized how good japanese are at making dramatic story, i almost cried hearing the narration from the radio that you can rent for 163¥. But then I remembered they were cruel and they don't want to admit their wrong doing during pacific war, so i feel relieved. Don't get me wrong, it's not that i don't feel the pain of the atomic bomb victims but during the pacific war somebody had to stop Japan. 

Overall, Nagasaki is not interesting city for me. I would suggest you visit this city if you have extra money. The flight from Osaka is quite expensive, return flight with ANA cost me 56000¥. Even though I don't like the city atmosphere, I feel glad to have experienced this city courtesy of my laboratory. My lab paid for the return flight and also the hotel. That's the good thing of being a desperate phd student. 

In two weeks I will go for another conference in Izumo at Shimane prefecture. Izumo is famous for the izumo shrine, the oldest shrine in Japan. I'll post the report later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Success in PhD and Have a life too
Success in PhD and Have a life too

Popular Posts

Blog Archive